School has started; the students are back. Always drive safely, especially in school zones!
Reminders for motorists:
- Watch out for children.
- Observe the posted speed limit and watch for school zones.
- Do not pass a stopped school bus when its lights are flashing.
- Do not pass other vehicles while in a school zone.
- All traffic must stop when red lights are flashing on a stopped school bus and should not proceed until the bus has turned off its flashing red lights.
- Drivers must yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian already crossing the street whether in a marked or unmarked crosswalk. A crosswalk legally exists across each leg of a marked OR unmarked intersection.
Reminders for pedestrians:
- Look both ways before crossing the street.
- Make certain the motorist sees you before stepping in front of a moving car.
- Cross the street at intersection crosswalks whenever possible. If you must cross mid-block, be careful crossing from between two parked cars.
- Watch carefully for approaching traffic. Wait for traffic to clear before crossing the street.
- Watch for turning vehicles at signalized intersections before stepping off the curb, even if the pedestrian signal says walk.